Saturday, August 21, 2010

Plans, They Change

But this isn't always a bad thing! I've only been here for about a week but I've already learned some new things about myself. For instance, I can't tolerate the smell of baby poop and I can take buses across Israel without getting lost (for those who know me, this is huge deal).
So ultimately, I was supposed to stay at my cousin's house, which is about a half hour from my school but that's not working out so I'll be staying here in Ariel with my sister and her fam bam. There are a few downsides and upsides to this decision. The upsides are that my brother-in-law's salon is down the street so I'll be getting a leg up working there while the other kidz at school are still learning how to hold a pair of scissors correctly. I'll also be able to spend some time with my niece, Abby (I'm already teaching her how to recognize Lady GaGa and Kanye West, it's pretty mind-blowing if you ask me). The downside is that Ariel is about an hour and 15 minutes away from school, which means 3 hours out of my day will be spent on a bus. But this got me thinking . . .
I've basically grown up in California, a place where almost everyone has a car, nobody really walks (c'mon there's even a song about it, yo) and by the age of 10, you probably already have a cell phone. These are things that make our life comfortable, one might even use the term "easy." But then I think about how, from a young age, we hear our favorite movie stars and recording artists telling us to follow our dreams and that we can do anything we put our mind to. But they don't tell you that following your dreams is not comfortable and it's definitely not easy. If it were so easy then we'd have more pop stars and movie stars than janitors but that's obviously not the case. You have to be willing to work harder than the people around you, you have to be so hungry for success that you go beyond what's asked of you. Remind yourself that the most successful people on this planet aren't lazy, they work hard and they don't quit. However, these are things you must consider before pursuing a dream. For not giving it your all would be a terrible tragedy. A dream is full of whimsy and wonder but a bit of elbow grease can turn that little bubble dream into reality.
So, yes, 3 hours on the bus will most likely be a pain but it's a tiny price to pay. I mean, I didn't leave my comfortable California life for nothing.

TTFN XX

1 comment:

  1. I love the poop comment and I am so glad you can take the bus without getting lost. I am so proud of you sis.

    ReplyDelete