Wednesday, August 25, 2010

It Starts With a "T" and Ends With an "Aviv"

The bus was late today but when it arrived I was just relieved to feel the AC on my face. Like I previously mentioned, I live in Ariel, which I used to think was an hour and 15 minutes from where I need to be but I guess that's just on a good day. We drove through what felt like pure desert, a wasteland of horribly dry dirt. But eventually (2 hours later), a busy city full of life emerged. It was full of hustle and even some bustle; people walking to get to school or to work. Eager young men and women in traditional Army attire, which they miraculously manage to look amazing in, heading to their Army base carrying guns you usually only see in action films. Juice from real fruit is squeezed right before your eyes and poured into a tall plastic cup and placed in your hand, all for your enjoyment. Cuz you know what, it's hot out this bitch and this is Tel Aviv.
You can find American Apparel here but the employees are definitely not American. You can find pizza here but it'll taste better than that stuff that's "not delivery." Oh and the fashion here, well the fashion is fearless and the people who rock it are oozing confidence. But why did I come here? Couldn't I have stayed in Calihood and gone to Paul Mitchell's hair school? Perhaps, if I only wanted to be taught the technicalities of doing hair. But here, in this youthful city, people appreciate an intracate hair cut or a luminous coloring job. Hair school doesn't end when I step out of the Shuki Zikri Academy, I see it when I walk to the bus stop. I see people with fantastic hair walking the streets and shopping in the markets. Hair is king in Israel. I feel lucky to be studying such an art in such a beutiful city.

TTFN XX

2 comments:

  1. beautifully said dude...Hopefully, I will have the experience of tasting that fresh juice, and walking in that crowd full of great people and feeling that hot air on my checks. soon i tell you, soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hellz yes! did you sign up yet er what?!

    ReplyDelete