Saturday, October 2, 2010

How Do I Get My Mojo Back?

I guess the best word to describe what I feel at this moment is, "deflated." I started this trip with all the confidence in the world. Knowing that it would be difficult but still hungry for the struggle as well as the success.

Some people may not be aware of this but in order to do hair for a fee, you need a license to work in a particular state, or country for that matter. Every state has different rules and you need to take the exam in which ever state you plan on working in. Now, California, being the wonderful state that it is, made it so that anyone wanting to be a hairdresser would also have to be tested on makeup, nails, waxing and facial care. WTF. That was my first thought. Why is it necessary for me to know all that other crap if I don't plan on providing those other services in my salon?! Not only that but I've also just been informed that after I complete my training here in Israel, I will be evaluated by the California State Board before I can even APPLY to take the exam in California. But they won't tell me what exactly I'll be evaluated on. All that's (somewhat) clear is that I must complete 1,500 hours of training before taking the exam. Basically, I've created quite a large mess for myself and I'm starting to second guess everything I've done, all the work and effort I've invested, up until this point.

When I discovered all of this, the first thing I did was go into fix-it-mode. But that got exhausting because no one from the state board was giving me any clear answers. Now I'm just starting to feel defeated and unsure. I hate being unsure, it is truly an awful feeling. Usually what keeps me going is knowing that it'll all work out in the end but this time I really don't know if it'll all work out. All I know is that I want to do hair. I want to make people feel good about how their hair looks. That's why I started this and that's why I'm not going to give up. Why should I give up on my dream because of some technicalities?! That is not how I roll, nor is it how I will ever roll. Onward and upward, right?! I will continue to DO WERRK and GO HARD until I get some answers and direction from California's end. I know I didn't leave everything I knew for nothing. I guess I just found my Mojo, it was on the tips of my fingers the whole time.

TTFN XX

5 comments:

  1. Liat that suck's! I had no idea it worked out like that and your right if your just going to provide hair service there is really no need for you to know make-up and nails.

    But don't give up i know you can do it your smart and full of courage.

    Just remember the beginnings are always tough and stressful but in the end it will all be worth it. Hopefully you get some answers quick.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karla!! you always know just what to say :-)

    Sammy, I have no idea what you're referring to but it sounds durrty and i like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sammy, i just got it. haha! and you'll always be my air-pump <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you sis...like I said before, you are going to figure this out and do what you need to do to get to where you want to go. In the meantime, I will always be just a phone call away...day or night.

    ReplyDelete